Sunday, August 21, 2016

5 Maths Gems #104

Welcome to my 104th gems post. This is where I portion some of the latest news, ideas in addition to resources for maths teachers.

1. Don Steward
Hurrah for the render of Don Steward!

He has been busy publishing loads of novel resources on his ratio, vectors in addition to linear graphs. I can't proceed upward amongst it all.
Extract from GCSE trace of piece of work questions

His novel resources include a issue of unlike ratio amongst algebra questions. Thank y'all Don!
Extract from Best Buys
2. Starters
Thanks to Danielle Moosajee (@PixiMaths) for sharing a huge collection of free starter questions. She has created a mixed topic starter for every lesson of the year. They are grouped past times target grade, amongst packs for grades 5 in addition to nine created so far. This powerfulness live a fourth dimension saver for lots of teachers.
3. Structured Recall
For years I conduct maintain made expert usage of Susan Whitehouse's topic summary resources at Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 level. They move actually good equally a revision action - students conduct maintain to explicate a method in addition to consummate an lawsuit for the diverse skills inside topic.  Here's what it looks similar for linear graphs.
I similar these so much that a twain of years agone I tried to brand a fix of them for GCSE inwards the same format (ie 1 column for the method inwards the student's ain words, 1 column for an lawsuit question) but I didn't conduct maintain fourth dimension to consummate them. So I conduct maintain a folder of unfinished attempts.

I was reminded close these sheets when I saw Miss Walker (@MsWalkerMaths) tweeting close a similar thought that's she has been trying amongst her students. This is slightly unlike to the topic summaries though, because the questions are intentionally less specific (including prompts such equally 'Tell me close parallel lines').


She also shared some non bad examples of her students' work.

4. Interhouse Competitions
I conduct maintain written earlier close national maths competitions which unremarkably involve taking students out of school. Gemma Elizabeth‏ (@gemma_harney) late tweeted to enquire close ideas for interhouse maths competitions that could live run inside a school. Some non bad ideas were shared so practise read the thread.

Coincidentally I was doing my regular batch of TES reviews a twain of weeks afterward in addition to industrial plant life a fix of resources that could live used for a monthly maths challenge in schools. Thanks to beedup on TES for sharing a squeamish elementary format. The thought is that students who desire to conduct maintain purpose select 1 of 2 challenges in addition to and so conduct maintain to solve the occupation in addition to explicate their thinking. The prize goes to the entry amongst the best explanation. Using Nrich problems or similar it would live pretty quick to practise a fix of these so the contest could run every calendar month all twelvemonth round.
5. Hook, Line in addition to Sinker
John Rowe (@MrJohnRowe) has published a actually lovely eBook for maths teachers. You tin read close it in addition to download the volume here.
John says, "I wrote this volume to assist Maths teachers who exactly don’t conduct maintain fourth dimension to navigate the thousands of resources available online. This isn’t tailored to a specific country’s standards/ curriculum outcomes, rather a collection of mathematics resources sequenced inwards a agency that I would in all probability practise it equally a teacher".

In his volume John provides an lawsuit sequence of the resources he would usage inwards the pedagogy of trigonometry in addition to Pythagoras, algebra, indices, quadratics in addition to probability. It's non bad - practise conduct maintain a read!

Update
I conduct maintain 2 large things going on at the moment… My GCSE revision volume went on sale in addition to nosotros had loads of mass orders from schools wanting their students to conduct maintain these habitation over Easter. Read close it here. Around the same time, Matt Parker asked me to host his volume launch. All 180 tickets sold out inwards solely 2 days, which was insane. I’m instantly busy making all the lastly arrangements for the maths lawsuit of the year. If you're coming, banking concern jibe the website for updates.

In other news, I led 2 large conferences lastly week, making it my busiest calendar week of all time! The starting fourth dimension was a DfE conference inwards Northampton where I presented on 'Countdown to GCSE'. For those of y'all who asked for a re-create of my presentation, y'all tin download it here. During the TeachMeet I also shared a brusk presentation close animations - those slides are here.
200 principal in addition to secondary teachers enjoying
Andrew Jeffrey's keynote at #teachmathsnorthants

Two days afterward was a Harris inset twenty-four sixty minutes menstruation - I was responsible for organising in addition to hosting the KS3/4 maths strand for close 180 teachers. As purpose of that I ran 2 topics inwards depth sessions. I am so pleased it's one-half term instantly because it was an exhausting week! Great fun though.
I late appeared on the podcast Relatively Prime where I was total of enthusiasm in addition to optimism, but a few days afterward got actually upset past times the agency a educatee spoke to me at school, which made me uncharacteristically miserable. The contrast betwixt the highs in addition to lows inwards this career is astounding at times.

I am looking frontwards to the flurry of conferences inwards March. The starting fourth dimension is #mathsconf18 which is inwards Bristol on ninth March. I’m presenting on units in addition to I know everyone volition intend that doesn’t audio similar an appealing session! Trust me, I conduct maintain some actually cool materials to share.

Later inwards the month, at #educatingnorthants, I’m presenting on methods (my absolute favourite matter to verbalise about). I late saw a expert blog post from Nick Corley (@MrCorleyMath) on option methods for expanding double brackets which is worth a read.

If you're non a fellow member of a bailiwick association in addition to so practise regard joining the oldest bailiwick association inwards the world. The lovely people at The Mathematical Association are instantly offering membership past times monthly direct debit.
It's solely £5.20 a calendar month for secondary membership, in addition to fifty-fifty cheaper for trainees, NQTs in addition to principal teachers. Join here.

I’m off on a household unit of measurement vacation to Scotland on Mon - it volition live the starting fourth dimension time my daughters become on a plane, which is real exciting. If you’re on one-half term adjacent calendar week too, enjoy!

I'll larn out y'all amongst this fun angles occupation shared past times a colleague of Tom Bennison in addition to prettified past times Ed Southall. Given it's a square, discovery the marked angle. In theory, a Year vii should live able to practise this one.