Tuesday, August 16, 2016

5 Maths Gems #111

Welcome to my 111th gems post. This is where I part about of the latest news, ideas in addition to resources for maths teachers.

1. Multiplication Tasks
In a Twitter chat on multiplication I saw 2 squeamish resources shared. First, Sharon Malley (@mathsmumof2) mentioned these 7 Times Table Reasoning Activities past times krisgreg30 on TES. These tasks require children to role known facts to argue how to solve other calculations.

Second, Jonathan Hall (@StudyMaths) shared a lovely occupation he designed for his Year 7s to larn them thinking a flake deeper.

2. MathByExample
Three years agone I wrote nigh Gems 54. This laid of tasks prompts students to analyse in addition to explicate misconceptions inwards algebra problems.

The squad at SERP Institute (@SERPInstitute) direct keep at in 1 trial launched their MathByExample website. The tasks are similar to AlgebraByExample but they are for topics that children run across at Key Stage 2.
There are loads of nifty tasks to explore on this website. In each instance children are given a right respond in addition to an wrong respond amongst questions nigh each one, in addition to hence they are asked to solve similar problems themselves.

The enquiry prompts manage children develop a ameliorate agreement of each concept.


3. Compound Area
Amie Albrecht (@nomad_penguin) shared a smart agency to accept a measure textbook-style exercise in addition to add together a higher score of thinking. Instead of but completing the exercise, pupils are asked to consider the features in addition to difficultly score of each work earlier deciding which problems to solve.

4. Linear Sequences
Thanks to Dan Lewis (@4301maths) for sharing a serial of tasks on linear sequences.

Follow Dan on Twitter for to a greater extent than similar this, including examples of his pupils' work.

5. Question Generators
Thanks to Jonathan Payne (@DrPMaths) who has built a collection of helpful question generators.

For illustration if yous are creating about angle questions for your explanations or for your pupils to practise, hence yous tin role his missing angles generator to do a laid of customised questions.

And here's 1 that creates arithmagons.

Updates
I've been busy making to a greater extent than GCSE revision resources. This is the concluding fourth dimension I'll do this for a patch because adjacent yr I'll solely last education Key Stage 3.

Because the non-calculator revision mats in addition to the calculator revision mats I late made went downwards good amongst pupils, I was asked past times a colleague to brand about other set. So at in 1 trial I direct keep a second laid of figurer revision mats. Again, they direct keep 4 levels of difficulty hence yous tin alternative the right score for your pupils.
I too made a Higher in addition to Foundation 'Spot the Mistake' revision action for something a flake different.

I too made a distich of revision mats amongst topics that powerfulness come upwards up on AQA Paper 2. These are but a collation of questions taken from Maths Genie. Because these are 'temporary' resources (ie designed specifically to laid upwards for AQA Paper 2 June 2019), these are non on TES but are linked through Adam Creen's blog. Every yr Adam pulls together all the 'between-paper' resources on his spider web log for slowly access.

Don't forget yous tin role my GCSE revision post continues to last the identify where I collate all free GCSE revision resources (with the exception of the 'between-exam' resources that direct keep a express shelf-life).

***

I was delighted to denote this calendar week that I volition last teaming upwards amongst Craig Barton to offering 2 amount twenty-four hours preparation courses inwards belatedly October. Visit mathscpd.weebly.com for all the information. Bookings are already going well.

My recent post 'Calculator Woes' rung truthful amongst many teachers. It was selected equally a Schools Week 'Top Blog of the Week' past times Amir Arezoo in addition to featured in Ollie Lovell's weekly Twitter takeaways. I mean value there's quite a serious work amongst figurer skills across the province in addition to I actually promise to consider teachers seek to remedy this past times getting lots of Year 6s in addition to Year 7s involved inwards MEI's Calculator Crunch adjacent month.

Thanks to Teresa Robinson at The Russell Education Trust who used my post to do a lesson on figurer skills.

Thanks too to @pgonlinepub for sharing a complimentary worksheet on the 'Top five figurer hacks for GCSE Maths'.

Yesterday I had java amongst Simon Singh, the writer of my favourite maths book. We discussed what parents tin do to encourage and support their mini-mathematicians at home. Simon mentioned the coding app Box Island. When I got habitation I downloaded for my daughters. It's awesome!

By the way, if yous don't currently have the MA's eNewsletter hence yous tin sign up here. I've been working amongst Ed Southall to relaunch it. From at in 1 trial on it volition include an exclusive monthly puzzle for your pupils to seek - 1 for main in addition to 1 for secondary. Sign upwards now!

I'll exit yous amongst this graph, shared on Twitter past times @lizardbill, which is in all likelihood the best illustration I direct keep e'er seen of a actually genuinely bad graph. There are to a greater extent than amusingly terrible graphs inwards the thread.

Enjoy one-half term!