Monday, August 29, 2016

5 Maths Gems #93

Welcome to my 93rd gems post. This is where I portion some of the latest news, ideas together with resources for maths teachers. It's the summertime holidays! Many of yous volition live on a Twitter intermission correct now, therefore this post volition fill upward yous inward on some things yous mightiness receive got missed inward the lastly pair of weeks.

It was inward the summertime holidays - iv years agone this week- that I get-go started writing my gems posts. You tin run across the total collection here.

1. Triangles
Thanks to John Rowe (@MrJohnRowe) for sharing this right-angled trigonometry activity. Students receive got the discovery the length x.
Benjamin Leis‏ (here.

If yous similar this together with then yous mightiness also enjoy Gems 54. It takes a piece to solve

You mightiness also similar the Gems 35. I dear angle chases!

Speaking of triangles, thank yous to Mark Horley (@mhorley) for sharing @DrPMaths' triangle generator. This helpful tool creates possible triangles amongst integer sides, expanse together with height. If yous brand your ain resources together with then this volition live helpful to ensure yous don't include impossible triangles.
2. Sums together with Products
Thanks to Shaun Carter (conference listings for 2018/19. There are lots of slap-up events coming up. Next term I intend to larn to #mathsconf17 together with MathsJam. And I promise to denote my ain number soon...

I've been working on my H5N1 marking resources libraries - they involve a total rewrite because of the novel H5N1 marking specifications. It's a huge, fourth dimension consuming job!

If you're a fellow member of The Mathematical Association together with interested inward volunteering, delight brand it touch. I chair the Publicity together with Media Committee together with am looking for a pair of novel members of my committee. I'm also looking for people to assist homo the MA bookstand at conferences. Please permit me know if yous tin help. H5N1 small honorarium volition live paid to conference volunteers.

In other news:


I'll travel out yous amongst this arithmetic maze from @MathforLove, shared by @MathsEdIdeas. Without passing through the same jail mobile telephone twice, what’s the largest total yous tin make? This mightiness live a squeamish activeness for Year vii to receive got a larn at inward September.