Wednesday, August 31, 2016

5 Maths Gems #90

Welcome to my 90th gems post. This is where I part unopen to of the latest news, ideas too resources for maths teachers.

1. Probability Task
Thanks to John Rowe (@MrJohnRowe) for sharing this challenging probability puzzle. If you lot similar this too hence you'll honour similar tasks for a broad make of topics on the fantastic website openmiddle.com which I've blogged close before.

2. Exam Wrapper
Thanks to Alice Leung (@aliceleung) for sharing an exam wrapper for students to consummate later on an assessment. I similar it that students are asked to reverberate on whether they did sufficient grooming for the exam.
 3. Number Properties Puzzle
Here's a groovy issue puzzle from @OCR_Maths.
4. Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 Level
If your Year 12s bring internal exams coming up, you lot mightiness honour my revision quizzes for pure too statistics helpful. I've told my students to impress off a charge of these too essay themselves at habitation until they larn everything right. The statistics quiz has a huge issue of definitions! 
There was a helpful give-and-take close Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 marking taster lessons on Twitter this week, initiated past times Adam Creen (@adamcreen). You tin read the total thread here. I bring industrial plant life inwards the past times that Pascal too Binomial works well. I've besides used Susan Wall's lovely 'Find the coordinates' business successfully equally a starter activity inwards Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 marking taster lessons.
5. Euclid
Thanks to @MrsMathematica for sharing this video close Euclid - I enjoyed watching this.



Also banking concern fit out The History of Non-Euclidian Geometry - Squaring the Circle and The History of Non-Euclidian Geometry - The Great Quest.

Update
In representative you lot missed it, I late wrote a dependent champaign cognition post service close algebraic highest mutual element too lowest mutual multiple. Writing this made me rethink my approach to teaching this topic. 

I besides published 3 sets of breakfast warm upwardly resources for both Higher too Foundation GCSE. It's been lovely to encounter hence many schools using these to calm nerves too warm upwardly brains on the morn of exams.

I besides published a fix of Year 3 topics inwards depth packs created past times Nikki Martin - delight part these amongst principal colleagues.

There bring been a issue of practiced maths teaching weblog posts lately that are worth reading, including:

I'm looking frontward to presenting at post close this concluding year.

If you're coming to the conference, impress a re-create of my #mathsconf15 bingo inwards advance too play along on the day.

Finally, did you lot encounter these awesome biscuits made past times Ella Dickson (@elladickson) for her Year xiii students? Amazing!