Monday, September 19, 2016

5 Maths Gems #74

Welcome to my 74th gems post. This is where I portion some of the latest news, ideas too resources for maths teachers.

1. Area Mazes
Two years agone I wrote nearly Area Mazes in Gems 36 . Last calendar week Nicke (@NEdge9) told me nearly the lovely website areamaze.com which I'd never seen before. This simple, user-friendly website presents a serial of increasingly hard expanse mazes for students to locomote through online. Helpfully, students are able to depict workings on the diagrams spell they argue their agency through the puzzles.
2. Animations
Tim Brzezinski (@dynamic_math) has been tweeting some vivid online geogebra materials lately. I similar to utilisation things similar this inwards lessons every bit role of my explanations. No Geogebra skills are required! For illustration Tim has made excellent collections of animations for exterior angles and interior angles of polygons and a tool exploring linear increase vs exponential growth. Follow Tim on Twitter for lots to a greater extent than similar this.
Another clever animation that I spotted on Twitter this calendar week was 1 by Kendra Lockman (@klockmath). Kendra has created a tool inwards Desmos: 'Adding Integers on a Number Line' which is worth a look.

3. Angles inwards Polygons
Ed Southall (@solvemymaths) has been finding out nearly maths instruction over inwards Nippon too volition no dubiety portion lots of weblog posts too articles nearly what he's discovered. He's already tweeted nearly multiple approaches for finding a formula for the interior angles of polygons.
Most teachers leave of absence amongst the offset approach here, but for a spell I've persuasion that the 2d approach (triangles that run across inwards the centre, leading to the formula 180n - 360) powerfulness hold upward to a greater extent than intuitive. It's worth discussing.

4. Odd One Out
MathsPad has published a novel laid of Odd One Out resources. Students need to uncovering matching pairs from nine items inwards a box, too hence circle the strange 1 out. These activities are designed to depict out possible misconceptions. There are currently nine topics available to MathsPad subscribers too ii topics available for free: Reciprocals too Simplifying Surds.

5. End of Term Quiz
My postal service 'End of term resources' lists maths activities that are helpful when y'all convey a one-half a shape or one-half a lesson. I believe it's really of import to continue teaching maths correct upward to the concluding twenty-four lx minutes catamenia of term - I never laissez passer inwards to students' requests for films or games! But sometimes lessons are disrupted past times schoolhouse events, important that teaching a novel topic becomes difficult. This presents a proficient chance for maths enrichment.

Thanks to Richard Tock (@TickTockMaths) for sharing his End of Year Maths Quiz. This quiz is really mathsy too is written specifically for summertime 2017.
This Maths Pub Quiz Pack by @SE_Education is also worth a look.

Update
I'm really pleased that evidence flavor is over! It's proficient to convey some gained time, though I'm actually busy writing UCAS references, sorting out displays ahead of opened upward evening, too finding resources for the novel Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 level. I volition hold upward blogging nearly novel Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 marking topics soon.

Last calendar week I was appointed to the role of Acting Joint Head of Maths at Glyn School (it's precisely motherhood cover, too I was the alone applicant, but hi - it's dainty to larn a temporary promotion). It's going to hold upward a challenge but I'm delighted to hold upward given the opportunity.
A tertiary of Glyn Maths Faculty enjoying prom concluding week

In instance y'all missed them, my recent posts were:

I'm presenting my Angles inwards Depth workshop at the ATM & MA London Branch conference this Sabbatum hence if you're based inwards London, produce come upward along.

In other maths news, MEI launched a novel app (Bundles of Graphs) too Simon Singh launched his Parallel Project for slap-up high attainers. Also, MEI convey launched some first-class novel Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 marking resources on Integral, including helpful revision summary sheets.

Don't forget to majority tickets for my #summaths event!

I'll leave of absence y'all amongst this lovely activeness 'Ab-surd!' from Underground Maths - I dearest surds!