Thursday, September 1, 2016

5 Maths Gems #89

Welcome to my 89th gems post. This is where I portion closed to of the latest news, ideas too resources for maths teachers.

1. Boss Maths
BossMaths.com is a corking maths website that I haven't seen before. It has over 200 lessons matched to GCSE specification references, each amongst examples, escalating do exercises, misconceptions, too exam-style problems. Some topics besides accept worked trial videos. There's loads of corking materials here.

All of this content is free. Teachers tin easily role the exercises too examples inward their lessons. I tin imagine this website mightiness besides last helpful if your students accept tablets or laptops inward their lessons equally they tin access the content straight without a login.

Here's an trial of an SSDD agency chore for percentages.
And here's an trial of a challenge enquiry from the topic 'arcs too sectors of circles'.
And here's an trial of an exercise from 'Algebraic manipulation involving surds too fractions'.
For closed to of the novel GCSE topics including Systematic ListingGrowth too Decay, Equation of a Circle, Iteration too Inverse Functions, it's actually helpful to accept a laid of examples, exercises too challenge problems all inward ane place. I'll add together these to my resources libraries.

The creators of BossMaths.com are going to brand extra premium features available on subscription. This includes worksheets, activities too answers.

2. Year 12 Revision
My Year 12 mathematicians accept internal halt of twelvemonth exams inward June. To tending them railroad train I'll last using the 'Question Countdown' revision resources from CrashMaths. Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 laid of 4 revision questions was published each twenty-four hr catamenia inward the 10 days preceding this year's AS exams, too then that's twoscore revision questions gear upward to use.
Also, creator of novel website Gems 86 for to a greater extent than of his corking puzzles.

Update
I produced a novel laid of resources for breakfast revision for the non reckoner GCSE examine - if you lot missed them, you lot tin download them here. I promise to brand reckoner versions over one-half term. I accept continued to add together novel resources to my GCSE revision post too then make banking concern check it out if you're seeing Year eleven in ane trial to a greater extent than this year.

I'll last doing a keynote presentation on Th fifth July at the BBO Maths Hub Secondary Conference inward High Wycombe. Bookings are forthwith open. I volition besides last speaking at #mathsconf15 inward Manchester too the JustMaths Conference at Alton Towers. I promise to encounter lots of you lot at these events - make say hello! For a total listing of summertime term events, encounter my conferences page.

I lately bought an 'absolutely' awesome novel maths t shirt. Loads of people asked me where I got it too then I persuasion I should portion that here: banking concern check out spreadshirt.co.uk for a corking make of proficient character maths stuff.

If you lot haven't seen it yet, make read Ben Orlin's post service 'The State of Being Stuck'. It's fantastic.


Good luck amongst the residue of examine season! And happy one-half term.