Thursday, September 8, 2016

5 Maths Gems #82

Welcome to my 82nd gems post. This is where I part or hence of the latest news, ideas together with resources for maths teachers.

1. GCSE Questions yesteryear Category
Jamie Frost (@DrFrostMaths) has started to do a laid upwards of "Full Coverage" GCSE revision worksheets. So far he's published inquiry compilations for iv topics: bounds, proof, functions together with straightaway together with inverse proportion. These compilations incorporate 1 example of each unlike category of yesteryear GCSE inquiry for each topic. I aspect I'll utilisation these inwards revision lessons this summer.
2. Cover Me
The lovely people at MathsPad accept made or hence novel interactive 'Cover Me' puzzles for 18 unlike topics. Four are free. I've enjoyed having a play amongst these.
3. GCSE Resources
David Morse (9 - 1 Revision Resources post.
Some of these would piece of job good for Year 12 too.

4. Number Election
@MathsEdIdeas shared a lovely laid upwards of resources for a 'Favourite Number Election'. The thought is that students possess for their favourite issue together with an election is held, perchance to grade Pi Day or the NSPCC's Number Day. 
5. Visuals
I've latterly spotted a few animations on Twitter that are worth sharing. @brilliantorg shared a visual representation of a departure of ii squares.

Tim Brzezinski‏ (@dynamic_math) shared an interactive animation showing how to notice the surface surface area of a cylinder, which is something students oftentimes seem to forget.



This tweet nearly representing an equation, together with the first-class Twitter conversation that followed, is worth a look.


Also cheque out novel website MathIsVisual.com which was created to deal inwards edifice a amend conceptual agreement of mathematics through the utilisation of visuals.

Update
I latterly wrote or hence other ii posts nearly what I've flora inwards quondam textbooks: Equations Exercises and Lost Vocabulary. I'll move sharing to a greater extent than quondam textbook exercises soon. In the meantime, if y'all relish browsing through quondam textbooks (my novel hobby!) hence hither are a few links:

The big intelligence inwards the basis of maths pedagogy concluding calendar week was the publication of Craig Barton's majority 'here.

I'd similar to tell a belated give thank y'all you to Jamie Frost for inviting maths teachers on Twitter to festive drinks at his menage before this month. I had a lovely evening.
I'm looking forrad to the Kettering conference on tenth March. I'm non speaking at this conference simply volition move helping to run the MA majority stand upwards hence do come upwards along together with tell hello. I'll also move at the pre-conference drinks at the Premier Inn on the Fri night.

Also, don't forget that the early on aeroplane charge per unit of measurement for BCME tickets ends adjacent calendar week - here.

I'll larn out y'all amongst this joke shared by @PG_Zan.