Friday, September 16, 2016

Summaths 2017

My Summaths number took house yesterday inwards the glorious sunshine at Bletchley Park. In this post I only desire to percentage a few highlights in addition to tell a few give thank you lot yous. This was the 4th maths instructor number that I've organised (my previous events beingness Christmaths 2015, Maths Meet Glyn in addition to Christmaths 2016). I mean value that our online maths didactics community is wonderful then I actually savour getting everyone together inwards person.

I vicious inwards honey alongside Bletchley Park when I visited it final summer. I knew that it would live on a bully venue for a maths instructor event.

75 teachers arrived vivid in addition to early Sun morning time in addition to spent the 24-hour interval exploring the beautiful Bletchley Park. Thomas Briggs ran a serial of workshops on codebreaking which were really good received past times all. In closed to other room, at that spot were maths activities in addition to fantabulous Enigma demonstrations.

After a lovely luncheon in addition to drinking glass of Pimms on the lawn past times the lake, nosotros wandered circular to the National Museum of Computing. This house is awesome. They bring loads of cool materials for mathematicians, including collections of slide rules in addition to calculators. I loved playing Mario Kart on an former N64, in addition to 1 of the highlights of my 24-hour interval was a virtual reality dinosaur.
We returned to Bletchley Park for a super difficult quiz which was won past times Angus, Em, Jan, Brian, Em, Chris in addition to Rob who solely dropped 1 mark! Very impressive. The quiz is here if you'd similar to bring a larn (with answers, in addition to previous quizzes). Thank you lot to Ed Southall (@solvemymaths) for contributing the cryptarithm in addition to anagrams.

Each attendee got a goody pocketbook which contained freebies from @TTRockStars, @JaneAppleton24, @AQAMaths, @OCR_Maths, @thinkmaths, @FlipTheSystemUK, @Cipher_Master in addition to @BuzzardPublish. Thank you lot really much to each of these generous contributors.

H5N1 large grouping of us went to the pub for dinner afterwards, in addition to had a actually overnice evening.

Huge thank you lot to Thomas Briggs (@TeaKayB) from Bletchley Park in addition to Jacqui Garrad (@JacquiGarrad) from The National Museum of Computing for helping me to organise the event. Thank you lot to everyone who enthusiastically participated, in addition to particular thank you lot to those who helped me fill upwards in addition to distribute goody bags. Finally, a huge give thank you lot you to my lovely colleague Lizzie Stokes (@MissStokesMaths) for giving me a elevator to Bletchley in addition to back.

It was a hot in addition to tiring day, but I loved every minute. All of my photos are inwards a Facebook album here, in addition to depository fiscal establishment tally out the hashtag #summaths to run into to a greater extent than photos in addition to tweets from the day.

I'm dorsum to schoolhouse on Friday, feeling inspired in addition to raring to go.