Wednesday, September 21, 2016

#Malcolmswanday

Today is Peter Mattock's weblog post explains how you lot tin learn involved. I did non accept the privilege of coming together Malcolm Swan myself, though I was lucky plenty to hold upward introduced to his awesome Standards Unit resources during my PGCE. Since too thus I accept blogged a release of times most his resources, including my posts 'Classic Resources' too 'The Hidden Treasures of Shell Centre'. If you're non familiar alongside the operate of Malcolm Swan, I recommend that you lot read his obituary inward The Guardian too this lovely tribute from MEI.

In this post service I portion 4 examples of my favourite Malcolm Swan resources - those of the Mathematics Assessment Project. This projection was based inward America merely I honor that many of the resources operate good inward my classroom, from Key Stage iii through to Key Stage 5.

1. Describing too Defining Quadrilaterals
I used to dislike teaching quadrilateral properties - I couldn't honor whatever adept resources that helped me assess my students' understanding. Then I discovered Describing too Defining Quadrilaterals from Malcolm Swan too his squad at the Mathematics Assessment Project. The lesson materials include give-and-take prompts too assessment tasks. As inward the Standards Unit, misconceptions are highlighted...

...and roughly elements of the lesson are scripted.


The resources provided are excellent, including this lovely activity:

2. Using Standard Algorithms for Number Operations 
This lesson is intended to better students' conceptual agreement of why too how written methods of arithmetics operate (such equally column addition) too prepare procedural fluency. Again, the lesson materials include questioning prompts too potential misconceptions. Tasks include 'Getting it Wrong':

3. Classifying Equations of Parallel too Perpendicular Lines
This lesson industrial plant good at both GCSE too Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 level. I shout out back giving the chore below to my Year 10s for a homework final yr too existence surprised past times how difficult they flora it.

The lesson materials are packed amount of first-class tasks, including this:

... too a collaborative chore inward which students accept to grouping equations of at in i lawsuit lines according to their properties.

4. Applying Angle Theorems
In this lesson students are presented alongside 4 option methods for solving this angle problem:
The chore requires students to brand feel of the dissimilar methods too evaluate each approach.

There are loads of first-class resources to explore on the Mathematics Assessment Project website, from full lessons to curt assessment tasks (which operate actually good equally homeworks). Do explore this website if you lot haven't already - Malcolm Swan was an absolute legend, too his resources are a will to his brilliance.