Wednesday, September 7, 2016

5 Maths Gems #83

Welcome to my 83rd gems post. This is where I portion or together with thus of the latest news, ideas together with resources for maths teachers. Many of us are on one-half term this week, which is a bully relief every bit usual. Time to select handgrip of upward on or together with thus sleep, pass or together with thus fourth dimension amongst my children, together with learn on move past times of my growing to make list. If you lot haven't had much fourth dimension for Twitter lately, this post features or together with thus things that you lot mightiness possess got missed.

1. Find Me... Problems
Mr Hill (Find Me.. Problems. There are xxx tasks together with thus far, roofing a broad attain of topics. These are tardily to usage together with tardily to adapt.
2. Algebra Starter Pack
Ed Southall (@solvemymaths) shared a bully fix of 'introduction to algebra' lesson activities on TES.
3. H5N1 Level Questions together with Assessment
I offset mentioned Gems 79. I've forthwith explored it inwards to a greater extent than special together with possess got realised that it's a actually useful website for teachers of the novel H5N1 level. Register for gratuitous together with you lot tin dismiss access a large alternative of good written questions for both the novel together with former H5N1 degree specifications.
Each enquiry comes amongst rattling detailed worked solutions. I've been using the questions every bit examples inwards shape but they tin dismiss also live assigned online to students. For free, you lot tin dismiss fix iii online worksheets per shape - this is virtually iii hours of piece of work for each student. By upgrading, you lot unlock all the other content.

In related news, Edexcel's novel mock papers were due to live published inwards belatedly Jan but possess got been delayed. Given that my schoolhouse has Year 12 mocks withdraw later half-term, this meant I ended upward making my ain assessment. It took hours to brand together with I drew questions from a issue of sources - I am happy to e-mail it to anyone else inwards the same position! Just allow me know if you lot demand it.

Note also that CRASHMaths of late published a large fix of new H5N1 degree practise papers. My students are using these to revise for their upcoming mocks.

Finally, whilst I'm on the discipline of H5N1 level, you lot mightiness live interested inwards the outcome of this Twitter poll regarding educational activity fourth dimension for Further Maths.
4. Primary 'Topics inwards Depth'
I possess got previously blogged virtually the importance of discipline specific CPD. I scream back that maths teachers demand CPD that focuses on misconceptions, approaches, methods together with activities for private topics. I started designing CPD similar this concluding twelvemonth together with although I'm even together with thus working on it, my progress has been rattling boring because my workload is together with thus heavy this twelvemonth together with these things possess got a long fourth dimension to produce.  Thankfully I possess got a wonderful collaborator called Nikki Martin (@nikki_nzmartin), who I met at an ATM/MA lawsuit concluding summer. She has been busy producing Topics inwards Depth packs for Year half-dozen together with Year two topics, together with piloting them inwards the principal schools she supports. She has rattling generously shared her piece of work on my Topics inwards Depth page.
5. Shape Transformations 
Every calendar month I learn an update of novel resources from MathsPad together with it's e'er total of bully stuff. Some of it is freely available, including a few of these interactive tools together with worksheets for transformations. The tracing newspaper overlays piece of work actually good here, enabling the instructor to demonstrate spell pupils consummate the matching questions.

Update 
In my last post I shared a fix of former textbook exercises that possess got been typed upward for usage inwards lessons. There's or together with thus bully questions inwards these exercises together with thus make cheque them out.
Last calendar week my weblog had its iii millionth visit. Thank you lot to everyone who visits regularly - I'm together with thus glad people respect it useful. I actually appreciate all the support. 

Last calendar week I also got a novel job! In September I'll live joining the Harris Federation, supporting maths teachers inwards a issue of Harris schools. I'll also live getting involved inwards their Maths Hub work. I'm actually deplorable to move out behind my lovely schoolhouse that has been together with thus skillful to me, together with my colleagues together with students who I'll actually miss, but excited virtually this side past times side stride inwards my career together with all the opportunities it volition bring. Huge cheers to Colin, Bruno, Craig, Ed together with Tom for all their advice on this large decision.

It's exclusively 4 weeks until the Kettering conference forthwith - I promise to run into lots of you lot at the Fri nighttime drinks. If I don't select handgrip of you lot at the drinks, make come upward together with nation howdy at the conference - I'll live on the MA stand upward when I'm non inwards workshops. The line up of workshops is fantastic together with thus I'm actually looking forwards to it.

There are or together with thus other pair of novel events coming upward that are forthwith opened upward for bookings: