Monday, September 5, 2016

5 Maths Gems #85

Welcome to my 85th gems post. This is where I portion or as well as thence of the latest news, ideas as well as resources for maths teachers.

1. SSDD as well as Venns
In illustration y'all haven't heard, Craig Barton (@mrbartonmaths) launched 2 novel websites final week: ssddproblems.com as well as mathsvenns.com.

I outset blogged most the 'Same Surface Different Deep' thought afterwards Craig introduced it at the JustMaths conference final June. The thought is that nosotros cause got a laid of problems where the surfaces are similar (eg all isosceles triangles) but the deep structures (ie the topics) are different. It's vivid to encounter this thought taking off inwards classrooms all over the footing right away that Craig has shared a large collection of SSDD problems.
Craig explains how as well as why to live on these problems, as well as invites contributions, on First grand Digits of Pi' display from Jae Ess (conversations betwixt students at Jae's school.
I've added this to my page of maths display resources.

3. Convince Me That
Daniel Kaufmann (@KauDan721) has created a laid of 'Convince Me That' problems. Giving students the answer, rather than quest them to honour the answer, allows them to focus on dissimilar aspects of the occupation (the how, the why, the process).
Teachers are invited to contribute their ain problems to this collection.

4. Minimally Different Questions
Jess (here as well as brain to my post-conference podcast alongside Craig Barton here.

In the podcast I promised that I'd develop a page to portion noesis organisers. My colleague Andy has been using noesis organisers rattling effectively this twelvemonth as well as he has given me permission to portion or as well as thence of his to larn the page started. If you've made noesis organisers that you're happy to share, delight ship me a link as well as I'll include them on this page.

On Mon I ran a xx infinitesimal CPD session on GCSE revision for my colleagues (mainly focused on resources). My slides are here if you'd similar to borrow them. Links are inwards the notes department on each slide.

In other news...
  • Dr Madas has published or as well as thence IYGB papers for the AS pure content of the novel H5N1 marking (Paper L, Paper P, Paper Q and Paper R). Given how lilliputian examination do textile in that place is for our electrical flow Year 12s, these are actually helpful!
  • Dr Frost is organising or as well as thence other maths instructor social event on Fri 13th Apr inwards Surrey. All welcome!
  • Chris McGrane wrote a keen post on planning a lesson on integration which is worth a read if y'all learn H5N1 level.
  • If you're looking for an Easter-themed resources for the cease of term, endeavor Chris Smith's Easter relay
  • There are alone a few residential tickets left for BCME!  It starts inwards 2 as well as a one-half weeks - I can't wait. 

I'll exit y'all this alongside fantabulous puzzle from Brilliant, shared past times Mark Horley (@mhorley).